Recent news from CHF Canada
CHF Canada makes Queen's Park deputation on Bill 7
NOV 29, 2016 Last night at Queen’s Park, CHF Canada Ontario Region gave its deputation on Bill 7, The Promoting Affordable Housing Act at the Standing Committee on Social Policy. The focus of the submission was on inclusionary zoning (IZ).
CHF Canada has advocated for inclusionary zoning for many years. It's an effective and low-cost tool municipalities can use to get affordable housing built in their communities.
Our principal recommendations:
- Offsite development of the affordable housing units and money in lieu of affordable housing units are allowed at the discretion of the municipality where a net social benefit can be identified.
- All reference to Section 37 of the Planning Act be removed.
Ontario Region Managing Director Harvey Cooper made the deputation and answered questions from the Committee MPPs. Said Cooper:
"We were very well received by MPPs from all 3 parties. There seems to be a good deal of support from both the Government and Opposition parties for the changes we are looking for in the IZ program."
For further information on our recommendations, please read the submission.
Other recent news
- Ontario Budget 2017: response from CHF Canada (Apr 27, 2017)
- Ontario Fair Housing Plan makes inroads on housing affordability: CHF Canada (Apr 20, 2017)
- Online Regional Elections Open (Apr 17, 2017)
- Our Movement. Our Future - Discover Stage (Apr 13, 2017)
- Memorial service for long-time co-op sector leader Mark Paul (Apr 4, 2017)
- Ottawa-Vanier by-election on Monday (Mar 29, 2017)
- Call to Action for You Hold the Key campaign (Mar 27, 2017)
- Spring Member Forums – Coming to You! (Mar 22, 2017)
- Staff nominations for Ontario long-term service awards (Mar 20, 2017)
- Spring Education Events in Manitoba (Apr 22) and Nova Scotia (Apr 29) (Mar 15, 2017)
- Register now for CHF Canada’s 2017 Annual Meeting (Mar 1, 2017)
- Intro Course registration closed: waiting list opens (Feb 28, 2017)
- Staff changes in national office (Jan 25, 2017)
- Ontario Council President makes deputation at Queen's Park (Jan 18, 2017)
- Promoting Affordable Housing Act passes at Queen's Park (Dec 7, 2016)
- Submission for the National Housing Strategy: Let’s Talk Co-operative Housing (Nov 21, 2016)
- Video shows co-ops benefiting from CHF Canada Refinancing and Asset Management (Nov 10, 2016)
- November Featured Resource: NEW! LGBTQ Inclusive Co op Communities (Nov 2, 2016)
- Budget 2017 Submission (Oct 27, 2016)